Bioshock Infinite Review - On Cloud Nine


From the second the game opens, with you, Booker DeWitt, a former agent with the Pinkerton Detective Agency, are sat on a boat rowing through murky waters late at night en route to a lighthouse. This opening scene had me invested already, the writing and the voice acting were both incredible, in the lighthouse, things didn't change. But it's not until you reach Columbia that Infinite's true grandeur can be observed.

Columbia is easily one of the most striking environments in gaming history, from your first steps, the gorgeousness of the architecture and art style will entrance you, if you are anything like me. I spent a good 20 minutes just walking around the first area after the rather violent baptism of Booker DeWitt, exploring for collectibles such as Silver Eagles, the games currency, and items to restore my health.

Gorgeous architecture is a common site in Columbia

The world of Infinite feels alive: the buildings float graciously through the sky and it is easy to get lost in time watching them. There are so many little great things to see and overhear, my favourite in the opening 40 minutes or so was the barbershop quartet singing God Only Knows. 



I meant to only play an hour or so before I wrote this review, but Bioshock Infinite has the power to suck you in, so I spent about 2 or 3 hours playing, forgetting about even writing this. It was hard to pull myself away.

Don't think that just because you play the main protagonist you are the focus of the story, oh no. Infinite is most definitely the Elizabeth show Featuring Booker DeWitt. Elizabeth, the Lamb, will be the best ally you could hope for, both keeping you alive and keeping your ammo levels topped up, and playing a much larger role in the story as it unfolds.

Elizabeth wants a high four and half.


The stand-out moment for me so far, is the first time you get to ride on the Sky Lines. I literally have no words for how amazing that was. There is a true sensation of speed but you never feel out of control, you can speed up, slow down, reverse and execute Sky Strikes, a devestating attack on opponents who are below you, think air assassinations in Assassin's Creed but more awesome.

Adam and Eve are gone - replaced by Salts, for use with the eight, I believe, Vigours, the new powers. My favourite Vigour so far is easily Murder of Crows. Not only is the name cool but so is the actual power, win/win all round. 

Bioshock Infinite isn't perfect, the textures are sometimes bland and the AI seems slightly... off somehow. But those two little faults I have found do not hamper my enjoyment of the game at all. Infinite is easily one of the best games I have played in recent years. 

I have four parting words for you all, Go buy Bioshock Infinite




No comments:

Post a Comment