Gamer's Pick: My Ultimate RPG


So, earlier on today you clever folks were given the choice between two articles on our Facebook page: My ideal role-playing game, or my perfect survival game. Left in your very capable hands, you elected the RPG for the focus of this article. I will be making references throughout to various RPGs(both Western and Japanese), cherry-picking my favourite parts from each to construct what is, in my aged eyes, a gem of a game. Anyway, enough dilly-dallying! Let's rock this bad boy!

The first, and most crucial, aspect of an RPG is that of story, as well as character background. It should be meticulous, engaging and thought-provoking, as well as tugging at the old heartstrings. In my decade or so of exploring fantastical new worlds and slaying great beasts, I have never come across a story as well-crafted as that of Lost Odyssey. Even on its surface, the tale of a group of immortals piecing together fragments of their past while trying to save their future is a brilliant one. But there is a wealth of extra memories that can be found and triggered across the game's story, revealing some true heartache that left me feeling moved and genuinely touched. This is a facet of an RPG that must be nailed on the head. A poor story will result in a poor RPG, every single time.

Second on my checklist is that of art style. Any old designer could go with the Final Fantasy-esque skin, but that particular horse has been beaten well beyond the point of redemption. A true role-playing game should always bring something fresh to the table, present the realm of fantasy in a manner that is new yet familiar. For a master class in this, I highly advise you check out Bastion. This game ticked so many boxes for me, and its art style was one of the largest. A winning blend of Eastern and Western styles, it transcended all kinds of barriers and will forever sit upon my 'Top 5' shelf.

I believe this makes my point.

Music sits in joint second with art, and again Bastion takes the cake on this one. It's just fantastic, honestly. It's candy for the ears and nectar for the soul. I have the soundtrack, it's that good. It should also evoke memories in the player, and set the mood for a battle or an area. A perfect example would be that of Pokemon's Lavender Town. Never before has a simple, looping bleating put so much fear in my heart. Even now, hearing that music takes me back to creepy Mediums and a dead Marowak. That's how it's done, developers. Take note.

Gameplay really takes the last seat, in my personal opinion. If it's bad enough, it will break a game. But in that same vein, it doesn't make the game either. RPGs contain a wide variety of playing forms, from the tradition turn-based to real time. I have always been a huge supporter of turn-based combat and will defend it to my dying breath. So, with that in mind, I would like to call on the Golden Sun series for reference. The first two were a huge part of my childhood, and shaped my RPG experience as a gamer. Ever since those days, turn-based has been my preferred path, and it was that series that converted me. The wonderful Shining Force also influenced me, the first stepping stone on my path to role-playing enlightenment.

Smacking people down with the elements never gets old.

So, with these factors in mind, my article draws to a close. What we need, no, what we deserve is a role-playing game where the characters move beyond that of polygons and pixels and become genuine beings. We should take their place in their world, walk in their shoes, fight in the battles and, most importantly, feel their pain. We should forget the reality around us, engulfed by luscious music and wondrous artwork. And finally, we should take to the gameplay as easily as a fish does to water. It should be fluid, natural and uninhibited. It's these factors that craft my perfect RPG.

What makes your ideal role-playing game? Disagree with any of my points made? Feel free to leave comments in the section below! Til next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment