Pokemon Art Academy: Colour Me Happy



Oh man, it's good to be back! We've been gone for ages, doing one thing or another, but now we've returned! Bigger, better and so much sexier. At least, I think so. But hey, I'm a little biased. This is our lovechild, and I'm a little blinkered. Anyway, enough about this lovely new re-branding: let's talk games! Namely, Pokemon Art Academy.

Now, I get that it isn't a 'mainstream' Pokemon title, but I couldn't care less. I mean, I used to play Pokemon Conquest and I freakin' loved that game. The main issue this new addition faces is the ever-looming Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire. Trainers worldwide have been waiting for this release since Gen III was over and done with, and this smaller competitor could possibly get lost in the whirlwind of news being drip-fed to us. Which would be a damn shame, because I thoroughly enjoyed it.

You're thrown right in, with a basic drawing of either Pikachu, Oshawott or Froakie. Best way to learn, in my opinion. And this attitude is reflected across the game's entirety. Tutorials are small and highly interactive, which is a joy to those who hate long texts and unnecessary explanations. However, this strength is also its primary weakness. While the first few levels are easy to grasp and fun to engage in, the later levels expect you to have memorized these skills as it becomes less and less involved. While I understand that this is the overall idea, it happens a little too quickly.

There are mini-lessons that accompany each main lesson, and these serve to sharpen your skills. I found these fun, and almost side mission-like in nature. Completing these unlocked more drawings to attempt in the Free Paint mode, which I'll talk about in a moment. I am seriously proud of each and every drawing I have done, which I sadly can't share because my memory card has been corrupted. It hurt me.

MissingNo strikes again.

So, Free Paint gives you 100+ pictures to draw in whatever way you please, with whatever tools you desire. To add to this, you can take pictures off your SD card and import them as a template. I used this to create my own fight scene using Pokemon figurines. Call me a nerd if you want, but I enjoyed it to no end.

There is a Quick Draw option, which allows you to draw the more basic Pokemon in a flash. Diglett, Litwick and dozens more, this a a nice little addition that allows you to churn out a nice picture in a matter of minutes. Personally, I went back and edited them to fit my personal style, another option that the game allows you. I don't want to brag, but I drew a Groudon and it looked regal.

Not this! God, not this!
To conclude, I would recommend this game to anybody with an interest in drawing Pokemon, specifically if you have no artistic background. If you already have drawing down, this game probably isn't for you. But for any Pokefans who want to bring their favourite 'Mons to life, this is the best way to do it. A must buy for those shy, creative types.

No comments:

Post a Comment