Ouya & MakerBot: A Match Made In Hell


You may remember a previous article where I touched on the mod-it-yourself debacle that is the Ouya. Some are singing its praises, while others see it as a stupid 'flash in the pan' idea. I'm one of the latter. It's tiny, it's inferior in almost all aspects and it looks simply terrible. Not to mention the fact that the controller is bigger than the console. You wouldn't let that happen with Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo, so why do these charlatans get away with it?

But I digress.

Ouya, in a bid to be oh-so-quirky, have teamed up with MakerBot so that people who buy their 'console' can print their own 3D cases. Now, I won't lie. I like modded console cases. I can think of several at the moment that get me salivating, such as the Iron Man Xbox 360. If done correctly, they can be works of art in of themselves. But the Ouya cases, from what I can see, look like they've been forged from melted-down crayons.

Image1

But it doesn't stop there. Oh no. It isn't like you purchase the Ouya and get a free one-time pass to send away for your little case. You have to buy the 3D printer. I'm struggling to find a price for that make, but they're not cheap, easily four times what you're paying for the console. So that's, what, ninety dollars for the console, four hundred for the 3D printer. And then you need the ink, or whatever they use. Yeah.

This is Ouya dripping you for every penny you have. They know we love new and ingenious things, and they're preying on it. Greatness comes at a price. And with this 'free-for-all' approach, they have to pull their overheads from somewhere. And it's going to be right out of your pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment