The Supergiant Rises Again: Transistor


You may recall me reviewing a certain game a little while ago. It's name was Bastion, and it was a goddamn glorious game. Honestly, it's on the top five. Ever. But I figured it could only be a one-time deal, right? A fluke? Well, Supergiant Games had unveiled a trailer for their new brain-child: It's title is Transistor, and it's set to be every bit as fantastic.

Running on what the trailer shows and from what I gathered, it sticks to the typical isometric puzzle platformer style. This is a brilliant idea, it really suits the art and styling of the game. As for the art style itself, it looks beautiful. It is very similar to the art in Bastion in its use of sharp lines and vivid colours, but has unique character that is difficult to name. It promises the same depth that it's younger brother did, which will be welcomed by the indie crowd with ecstasy. 

The title refers to your main weapon. You play as a young woman who is attacked by a group of assailants. She barely fends them off, taking the strange device they dropped. As you play through  you learn more about its strange origins and unlock further abilities. It's an interesting twist on the classic heroine story, and I'm sure it will have a lot of option content that you can return and find post-completion.

They expect it out by 2014, with a Question and Answer session being held at PAX East. I'm so excited about this game, I can barely contain myself. Oh. It looks like I couldn't contain myself after all. If it is half as good as it's shaping up to be, I will get it without hesitation. One to keep an eye on, folks.

Supergiant's official site can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment